Friday, March 27, 2015

Quick and Easy Salmon

Remember the other night when I talked about tomatoes, mozzarella and balsamic vinaigrette? It made me think of another recipe that uses balsamic vinegar that would be a great fit for this week's theme. What's funny is that the two main ingredients in this one are yet another pair that I didn't eat for most of my life. The first time I tried salmon, I thought it was dry and fishy.  I was fairly disappointed as I had just started liking fish and sadly assumed they all fell in that mild whitefish category. I'm not sure if I just had a bad piece of fish or not, but I finally retried it a few years later and now have salmon recipes coming out of my ears. This is why you should always retry things as you get older, since your taste buds apparently change with age too!

Asparagus Balsamic Salmon

Ingredients:
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar               1 tbsp. honey            3 tbsp. olive oil             1 tbsp. butter
4 salmon fillets                            1 lb. asparagus, trimmed

Directions:

  1. In saucepan, bring honey and vinegar to boil, whisking occasionally.
  2. Cook until reduced by half (app. 3 minutes).
  3. Remove from heat.
  4. Whisk in butter and cover to keep warm.
  5. Toss asparagus with 1 1/2 tbsp. oil.
  6. Cook until tender.
  7. Put salmon in parchment paper.
  8. Cover with sauce.
  9. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
You could also easily convert this to a grill recipe. I would marinate both the asparagus and salmon in the sauce. However, with the asparagus, I would do it briefly so that you don't make it mushy. 

As always, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment