Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Southwest Seafood Flavor

Today, let's talk about seafood in salads. I'm personally a big fan just because often times the seafood will take a bit of whatever flavor the dressing is since most seafood, at least to me, has a mild flavor.  This is also a really healthy dinner with all the fresh veggies in addition to seafood. I did not eat anything that came from the sea until I was an adult. Even tuna fish sandwiches seemed this side of revolting to me! Though I admit now I really couldn't tell you why I didn't like seafood, just that I didn't. It's funny how your tastes change. Now if given the choice, I almost always go for seafood!

Southwest Scallop Salad

Ingredients
1 lb. bay scallops      1/4 c. lime juice    2 tbsp. olive oil         1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. lime peel         1/4 tsp. salt          1/8 tsp. pepper          1 green onion, sliced
2 tbsp. cilantro          1 tsp. parsley       1 avocado                 1/2 c. roasted sweet red pepper
1 medium tomato, chopped                  6 lettuce leaves         1 medium tomato, sliced

Directions:

  1. In a large saucepan, bring 3 inches of water to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat.
  3. Add scallops, simmer, uncovered for 1-2 minutes until scallops are firm and opaque.
  4. Drain immediately and rinse with cold water.
  5. In a bowl, whisk the lime juice, oil, sugar, lime peel, salt and pepper.
  6. Stir in green onion, cilantro and parsley.
  7. Slice avocado and dip the slices in the lime juice mixture. 
  8. Place on a plate, cover and refrigerate.
  9. Stir red peppers and scallops in the lime juice mixture.
  10. Cover and refrigerate until just chilled.
  11. Just before serving, stir in the chopped tomato.
  12. Serve on lettuce leaves with tomato and avocado slices.
Scallops are easy to cook and actually easy to overcook as well. I am not joking when I am this specific about how to cook them as they take next to no time and if you do overcook them, they taste like rubber!

As always, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment