Friday, March 13, 2015

Seafood Shortage

I've been combing through my posts trying to get a sense of any holes I've left in my recipe picking and it occurred to me for as much as I love seafood, I don't have a lot on here. I'm not sure why except maybe it's that I know so many people don't like certain seafood. I have a confession to make. I didn't start eating seafood until I was an adult. My mom will tell you how much fun it was to bring a piece of steak and some cut up carrots and celery to my grandparents' house for me to eat while they all had lobsters and clams. I really had no idea what I was missing!

So, I've chosen a seafood recipe that you could easily substitute in meat if you don't like shrimp or crab but I'm telling you this is good stuff!

Seafood Tortilla Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 jar picante sauce            1 1/2 lbs. uncooked medium shrimp         4-6 minced garlic cloves
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper    1 tbsp. oil                 1/3 c. butter              1/3 c. flour
1 can chicken broth           1/2 c. whipping cream                               15 corn tortillas
16 oz. crabmeat, flaked      3 c. colby jack cheese (or your favorite)

Directions:
  1. In a skillet, cook shrimp, garlic and cayenne in oil until shrimp turns pink (3 minutes).
  2. Remove and set aside. 
  3. In the same skillet, melt the butter.
  4. Stir in flour until smooth.
  5. Gradually add broth and bring to a boil.
  6. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick.
  7. Reduce heat and stir in cream and picante sauce.
  8. Heat through.
  9. Spread 1/2 cup of sauce in a greased 9x13 baking dish.
  10. Layer with 6 tortillas, half of the shrimp, crab and white sauce and 1 1/4 c. cheese.
  11. Repeat layers.
  12. Tear or cut remaining tortillas and arrange over cheese.
  13. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
  14. Bake uncovered at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
  15. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
This is a great twist on the traditional lasagna with a nice spice that you can either go hot or mild with. Add in some hot sauce or ratchet up the picante sauce. You could even switch out colby jack for pepper jack....get creative!

So for you seafood lovers, enjoy. For the anti seafood crowd, try some pork or chicken or both. Again, you can use any recipe as a launching pad to making your own version, catering to your specific tastes.

As always, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment