Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A Fruity Twist on Rolls and Butter

Being a very picky eater when I was young always made holiday dinners with the family a challenge. Often times, the only thing I knew for certain that I would eat was whatever rolls were being served.  Thanksgiving was turkey, rolls, some cut veggies and a scoop of this or that to be polite. Rolls helped me stomach ham at Easter as I don't hate it but I don't love it either.I could just pretend it was a mini ham sandwich! But, I digress. I picked the following recipe as another opportunity to add some produce to the meal. The apple is a sweet and tasty surprise!

Apple Biscuits

Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter, cut in small pieces       2 c. self rising flour        1 tbsp. sugar           pinch of salt
1 apple, chopped                              1 egg, beaten                2 tbsp. molasses     5 tbsp. milk

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425.
  2. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  3. Sift flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
  4. Rub in the butter with your fingers until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
  5. Stir chopped apple into mixture until just combined.
  6. Mix together beaten egg, molasses and milk. 
  7. Add to dry ingredients to form a soft dough.
  8. Roll dough to 3/4 inch thick.
  9. Cut out 8 biscuits.
  10. Arrange on baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
  11. Transfer to cooling rack.
Tomorrow's recipe will give you a break in labor - it's a crock pot recipe that you can set to go early in the day and forget about it.

As always, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment