Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Veggie Soup I Like

With my fear of all cooked vegetables growing up I didn't eat a lot of vegetable soups. In fact, most I wouldn't even try. I'm enjoy fresh produce in my soups now though - and the more unusual ingredients seem to win me over more! Usually, they are pretty quick to make too which is an added bonus.

Zucchini & Tomatillo Soup

Ingredients:
For the zucchini:    2 c. chopped zucchini       1 c. vegetable stock      2 garlic cloves, minced
                              4 sprigs fresh thyme

For the tomatillos:  1/2 lb tomatillos, husked and cleaned         1/2 small red onion, cut in half
                               2 tbsp. olive oil                                            salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400.
  2. In a medium pot, combine the zucchini, stock, garlic, thyme.
  3. Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. R
  4. Remove thyme and discard.
  5. Place the tomatillos and onion on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
  6. Toss with your hands to coat all sides.
  7. Season with salt and pepper.
  8. Roast until golden but not charred, 20-24 minutes.
  9. Put the tomatillos and onion along with any remaining oil in a blender.
  10. Add a spoonful from the cooked zucchini mixture and blend until smooth.
  11. Keep doing this until everything is blended.
  12. Pour everything back into the pot and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
  13. Can be served warm or chilled.
  14. Garnish with cilantro if you want.
I've only tried it warm. I haven't been too adventurous with cold soup but it seems like it would be a perfect summer dish. Fresh from the garden produce into a cool soup to stay cool in the hot summer sun. Win win!

As always, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment