Monday, January 5, 2015

Buffalo Chicken Lasagna

My cousin Danielle is the inspiration for this one tonight. She’s making buffalo chicken dip in the crockpot, which is another favorite of mine.  So, I started flipping through my chicken recipes as I know I have a ton of variations on buffalo chicken. For the longest time, I thought buffalo wings were way too hot but now I can’t seem to get enough of them. I’ve also noticed the trend in my recipe boxes to make meatloaf, meatballs and chicken wings. But that’s a post for another day!


I know many complain that lasagna is a ton of work, which can be true. However, I think lasagna steps can be broken up in between other activities and time so it’s not as time draining. In fact, when I make my own spaghetti sauce (oh the horror – but it’s so cost effective and tastes so much better!), I often use that time to chop vegetables and cook meats for a lasagna. It always seems to go hand in hand. With this recipe, it’s much the same way. You can make the sauce a day ahead to give the flavors extra time to mingle!


I first saw this recipe in Taste of Home, a magazine I highly recommend. I’ve eliminated a few of the ingredients (celery, carrot, salt and pepper) and changed a couple of things along the way. I didn’t really see the need for the small amount of the vegetables and I often eliminate the salt and pepper in recipes if they are a 1/4 tsp or less. I don’t find it changes the flavor.

Buffalo Chicken Lasagna


Ingredients:


1 tbsp. oil    1 1/2 lb. ground chicken    1 small onion    2 garlic cloves  

1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained   12 oz. bottle buffalo sauce


1/2 c. water     1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning     9 lasagna noodles


15 oz ricotta cheese     1 3/4 c (app. 7 oz) crumbled blue cheese, divided


1/2 c minced parsley     1 egg, slightly beaten     3 c. (12 oz.) mozzarella


2 c. (8 oz.) white cheddar


Directions:
  1. In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
  2. Add chicken and onion – stir until meat is no longer pink.
  3. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer.
  4. Stir in tomatoes, buffalo sauce, water, Italian seasoning and bring to a boil.
  5. Cover and simmer for an hour.
  6. This is where it recommends to cook your lasagna noodles. I find the no cook ones work just as fine and will cut down your prep time.
  7. In a bowl, mix ricotta cheese, 3/4 c blue cheese, parsley and egg.
  8. Spread 1 1/2 c. sauce into a 9×13 baking dish.
  9. Layer with three noodles, 1 1/2 c. sauce, 2/3 c. ricotta mixture, 1 c mozzarella, 2/3 c. cheddar cheese and 1/3 c. blue cheese.
  10. Hint: these layers don’t have to be exact – I don’t formally measure them – I just eyeball and make sure they are even.
  11. Repeat the layers twice.
  12. Bake, covered, at 350, for 20 minutes.
  13. Uncover and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
  14. Let it stand about 10 minutes before serving – I find it stays together better.
Lasagnas are fun to switch up. Whether it’s hot like this buffalo one or a Mexican tortilla one or even an Alfredo one, they are rich in texture and flavor and provide plenty of leftovers. Recommended servings on this is 12. So, you can do it for your family for a couple of meals or it’s a guaranteed easy fix for a big dinner group you may host.

As always, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment