Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Sweet? Savory? Both!

I like pie. I’m the first one to stand up and say that loud and proud. I have a whole section of pie recipes in my baking recipe box. Yes, I have multiple recipe boxes. That’s a conversation for another blog post. I like choices for myself and it’s also a handy resource if you’re ever looking for a good recipe – I usually have it and several variations.


For this post, it’s not one of those feel good Thanksgiving pies or even the hubby’s favorite, cherry pie. This is one is a breakfast pie.


Breakfast -I don’t know about you, but I don’t often have the time or desire for a full breakfast in the morning. This is precisely why breakfast for dinner is popular in my house.


This pie is the best of both worlds -sweet and savory – something I often struggle with. I love toffee peanuts and chocolate covered pretzels and of course anything chocolate peanut butter. I know many people are the same way – it’s that sweet and salty combo that makes our taste buds go wild.


Breakfast Sausage Apple Pie


Ingredients:


1 lb breakfast sausage links     1 pie crust     1 can apple pie filling     1 c. cheese     1/2 c. brown sugar


Directions:
  1. Cook sausage and drain.
  2. Bake pie crust for 10 minutes at 375.
  3. Pour in apple pie filling.
  4. Arrange the sausage on the top.
  5. Sprinkle with cheese and then brown sugar.
  6. Bake for 25-35 minutes.
  7. Serve warm.
Yes, this recipe is just that simple. It’s also one I bet you could play around with depending on taste. Our go to cheese is cheddar jack as I can get big blocks of it cheaply at Sams Club. But, you could spice this up with a pepper jack or go in a different direction with a provolone or mozzarella. And it seems to me that you aren’t limited to apple pie only. My gut says blueberry would work well  -  and I’ve used cherries in a lot of different ways. Perhaps the tartness of the cherries would blend well with the spice of the sausage. Of course, there are different flavors of breakfast sausage links so your mix and match potential is endless.

As always, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment