Saturday, January 24, 2015

Everything's Better with Bacon

I'm back. My blog at blog.com is still not working and I can't seem to get any help on what the problem is. I'm tired of blog.com's inconsistency, so I will be moving my old posts here. At least I hope I will - I have to figure out how to do that when the site comes back up.

In the meantime, I don't want to lose momentum. Last night, I asked a friend what kind of recipe I should blog about. First, I got a response of "crockpot" but as we continued talking she told me about a new thing she tried recently, red velvet French toast with bacon baked around the edge. That's when we decided a bacon recipe was the way to go. I mean really - how can you go wrong with bacon?

Bacon & Cheese Meat Loaf

Ingredients:

1 tsp. oil     1/2 c. shredded carrot     1/2 c. chopped onion     1 c. soft breadcrumbs
1/2 lb. bacon strips, crumbled           2 eggs, lightly beaten    4 tsp. worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. garlic powder                            2 tsp. pepper                  1 tsp. salt
2 lbs. ground meat                          

Topping:    3/4 c. crumbled blue cheese     2 tbsp. minced sage     2 tbsp. minced chives

Directions:

  1. In a small skillet, heat oil on medium high.
  2. Add carrot & onion. Cook until tender.
  3. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, bacon, eggs, worcestershire sauce, spices and carrot mixture.
  4. Add beef and mix lightly but thoroughly.
  5. Shape into 8 x 4 in. loaf in an ungreased 13 x 9 baking dish.
  6. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hrs.
  7. In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients. Mix well.
  8. Pat onto meatloaf and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
As always, have fun!

1 comment: