Thursday, January 29, 2015

Super Bowl Eggplant?

My weird food issues are legendary. I've already written about mashed potatoes and cooked vegetables and the fact that I didn't eat eggs or tuna until my teenage years. I won't grace these pages with either my cheez-its story or oatmeal. 

But one thing I've always liked was eggplant. In fact, eggplant parmesan was one of my favorites at the Chateau! As I've gotten older, I find myself trying eggplant in all sorts of dishes. I even got Jeremy to try and like it! That brings me to the vegetarian's favorite dish for Super Bowl!

Grilled Eggplant and Garlic Dip

Ingredients:
2 medium eggplants (app. 2 lbs.)     2 tbsp. lemon juice     2 large garlic cloves     
2 tbsp. plain yogurt       1 jalapeno, seeded        tsp. salt     1/2 c. parsley        2 tbsp. tahini

Directions:
  1. Broil eggplants 2 minutes on all sides. The skin will darken a little and begin to smell smoky, adding lots of flavor to the dip.
  2. Turn broiler off, but do not remove eggplants from the oven. Heat oven to 375 and roast eggplants 25 to 30 minutes, or until very soft. Cool 10 to 15 minutes until easily handled.
  3. Process the garlic, jalapeno and parsley until minced.
  4. Add the flesh of the eggplants. Discard the skin.
  5. Add tahini, lemon juice, yogurt and salt.
  6. Process the mixture until just combined.
  7. Serve immediately.
 It goes great with pita chips or flatbread or pita bread. You could even use crackers if you wanted. My personal preference is pita chips. I find them very addictive!

As always, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment