Sunday, January 18, 2015

Pulled Pork Tortilla Pie

It’s time to whip up something new with your leftovers! Now that you have both the pork and corn ready to go, it makes this recipe go even faster.

Pulled Pork Tortilla Pie

Ingredients:

1 can corn, drained (or 2 ears of corn)     1 can green chilies, drained

12 corn tortilla     12 oz. pulled pork, seasoned (or your carnitas leftovers)

8 oz. sour cream     10 oz. green chile enchilada sauce

1 1/2 c. shredded cheese (your choice)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Grease a 8×8 square baking dish.
  3. Mix the corn and green chilies.
  4. In the baking dish, layer 4 tortillas, followed by half each of the pork, corn, sour cream, enchilada sauce.
  5. Add 1/2 c. cheese next.
  6. Repeat layering one more time and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
  7. Cover & bake for 30 minutes.
  8. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes more.


How did you do with your first duo of planned, related meals? Think you can do more? Are you sensing a theme here? Perhaps, Mexican? Could you do a week of Mexican recipes or would you even want to? Meal planning doesn’t have to be that boring…that’s how you get into ruts. You might have a theme night or a bunch of related recipes based on ingredients. What works for you?

I try to watch what’s on sale to maximize my budget. However, as I do this more and more, I tend to start planning a few weeks out. I mean getting a schedule together of meals so I have a variety. I try to do a beef, a chicken, a seafood, a pork and a vegetarian dish each week. I also planned all 7 nights meals at first. What I failed to realize, pretty quickly, was that I didn’t always take servings into consideration. Making a lasagna as a a dinner for 2 will in fact feed us for 4 meals total. So that’s dinner and 3 lunches or 2 dinners and 2 lunches. Imagine if multiple recipes made that much food. Start doing the math in your head and you’ll realize that by mid-week you will be drowning in food.

If you have a few weeks planned out informally, then you can switch ones in and out depending on your need. I was in the grocery store one week and saw tuna steaks on sale. They weren't on my grocery list, but I knew I had a tuna recipe coming up so I scooped those up. This was probably my 2nd or 3rd grocery store stop, so I knew I didn’t buy everything for every recipe yet. Why and how I shop at multiple stores is a whole separate blog post! When I got home, I took a look at what I had for recipes and ingredients left to buy and switched my tuna recipe in to that week and bounced one of my meals that had pricier ingredients to a future date. This may seem overwhelming, but don’t be scared. As you do it more and more, it comes more naturally.

That’s all for now. As always, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment