Thursday, January 8, 2015

Comfort Food

Comfort food. Everyone has that one food that is your go to when you have a bad day or you want to celebrate. It’s that recipe that you might be known for or just something that you can’t live without. I often get into this discussion with people when they say mashed potatoes is their go to food. Anyone who knows me, knows that mashed potatoes would probably still go untouched even if they were the last food on earth!


I digress. I went flipping through the boxes to find that special recipe. Again those who know me are probably trying to guess. Is it my brownies? Perhaps my mom’s Sour Cream Apple Pie? Or maybe my grandmother’s chicken wings? All good guesses, but no.  Instead it’s my mama’s spaghetti pie. I told you I really like pie … what can I say?


Spaghetti Pie


Ingredients:


6 oz spaghetti     1/3 c. grated parmesan     2 tbsp. butter     2 well beaten eggs


1 c. cottage cheese     1 lb ground meat (I use turkey but I’ve had it with beef)


1/2 c. chopped onion     1/4 c. green pepper (also could sub in red, yellow or orange)


8 oz. diced tomatoes     6 oz. tomato paste     1 tsp. sugar     1 tsp oregano


1/2 tsp. garlic salt     1/2 c. mozzarella


Directions:
  1. Cook spaghetti and drain.
  2. Add butter, eggs and cheese.
  3. Form a crust in a greased pie plate.
  4. Spread the cottage cheese on top.
  5. In a skillet, cook the ground meat, onion and pepper until the meat is brown.
  6. Drain the fat and add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano and salt.
  7. Pour this mixture into the pie plate.
  8. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350.
  9. Sprinkle the mozzarella on top and bake it for 5 additional minutes.
  10. Cut into slices and serve.
  11. Enjoy!
As always, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment