Friday, February 13, 2015

Back to Basics

I'm saving my special wing recipe for Valentines. In the meantime, I'm going back to a more basic wing recipe, not super hot or spicy with my favorite side, mac & cheese.

Yes, Julie, more mac & cheese...you can thank me later!

These wings are mostly sweet with a hint of red pepper and ginger that really give it a zing without overwhelming you.  

Honey Lime Chicken Wings

Ingredients:
2 lbs. chicken wings       1/4 c green onions, chopped      3 tbsp. soy sauce       
3 tbsp. lime juice             3 tbsp. honey           2 tsp. sesame oil        1 1/2 tsp lime peel   
1/4 tsp red pepper          1 tbsp. ginger           2 garlic cloves

Directions:

  1. Cut wings at joint to make 2 pieces.
  2. In a blender, combine all ingredients except chicken.
  3. Process until smooth.
  4. In a plastic bag, combine chicken and marinade.
  5. Refrigerate at least 8 hours, turning occasionally.
  6. Spray shallow baking dish and put chicken pieces down.
  7. Bake at 425 for 30-40 minutes.
Now it's on to what to pair with this culinary delight?  You could go Mexican with the honey/lime/pepper combo. Or you could go Asian with the sesame oil/ginger/garlic combo. Instead I'm going good old fashioned American with mac & cheese! Yes, I'm a self admitted mac & cheese junkie but I can't help it. I think the ranch/garlic/lemon pepper combo in this dish goes well with these wings. Plus, ranch is pretty universally loved anyway.

Ranch Mac & Cheese

Ingredients:
1 c. milk          1/4 c. butter        2 envelopes ranch dressing mix       1 tsp. lemon pepper
1 tsp. garlic pepper        1 tsp. garlic salt        1 c. cubed colby cheese      
1 c. cubed monterey jack cheese     1 c. sour cream    1/2 c. crushed saltines
1 lb. macaroni, cooked and drained

Directions:
  1. In a dutch oven. combine first 8 ingredients.
  2. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese melts and mixture thickens.
  3. Fold in the sour cream.
  4. Add crackers and macaroni. 
  5. Cook until heated through, stirring frequently.
Are you drooling for these? Are you ready to make chicken wings for your special someone on Valentine's Day? Well, I hope you are doing something special for the one you love. I'm not necessarily big on the day for my own reasons but I do still celebrate it. You'll hear about it in tomorrow's blog with special recipes picked out in honor of the day.

As always, have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment