Sunday, February 1, 2015

Go New England!

Sorry to my Hoosier friends, but I am a New England girl at heart. Don't hate me too much. After a week of munchies: pizzas, dips and bite sized appetizers, I wanted to bring this blog around to something distinctly New England in honor of the Patriots. Honestly, I struggled. I don't like clam chowder. I am too cheap to have a good lobster recipe. I even checked for something Boston Cream pie related to no avail. 

So, I decided to go with flounder as it's a fish that I don't find as common out here in Indiana and, besides, seafood is always a New England thing!

Flounder with Shrimp Stuffing

Ingredients:

Fish:  1 1/2 lb. flounder fillets     5 tbsp. butter     2 tbsp. lemon juice     1 tsp. parsley
          1/2 tsp. paprika

Stuffing:  1 lb. uncooked shrimp, chopped     1/4 c. beef broth     1 tsp. pimento        
               6 tbsp. butter, cubed            1 small onion, chopped     1/4 c. bell pepper, chopped
               1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce     1/2 tsp. minced chives     1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
               1 1/2 c. bread crumbs

Directions:

  1. In a skillet, melt butter.
  2. Add onion, and pepper - saute until tender.
  3. Add shrimp and cook until pink.
  4. Add broth, pimentos, worcestershire, chives and cayenne. Heat.
  5. Take off the heat, add breadcrumbs.
  6. Spoon about 1/2 c. stuffing on each fillet. Roll up.
  7. Place seam side down in a greased 9x13 baking dish.
  8. Drizzle with butter and lemon juice.
  9. Sprinkle with parsley and paprika.
  10. Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until fish flakes easily.
I always struggle with what the "right vegetable" to pair with different things. I'm certainly no gourmet chef but, for some reason especially with seafood, I just love a nice fresh vegetable on the side, not a starch like potatoes or rice.  And, of course, it can't be too mushy! If you time things right, you can cook this next recipe while your fish is in the oven so everything's fresh and ready to go.

Apple Green Bean Saute

Ingredients:
1 lb. fresh green beans     1 apple, chopped     1/2 c. walnuts     1/2 c. honey
1 tbsp. oil                           sesame seeds

Directions:
  1. Saute green bean and apple in oil.
  2. Add walnuts - cook until vegetables are crisp tender.
  3. Stir in honey.
  4. Top with sesame seeds.
Patriots to win today and ....

As always, have fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment