Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Chicken Parmesan

This might be a trick of a post. You look at that headline and if you are in my family, you think she's writing about her cousin Lori's famous chicken parmesan. I do love my chicken parm after all! However, if you remember, I said I'm a little meatball crazed as well. So, how do you take two Italian favorites like meatballs and chicken parm and put them together to minimize your work?

Chicken Parmesan Meatballs

Ingredients:
1 lb ground chicken/turkey     1 medium onion     1/2 c. parmesan     1 tsp. black pepper
1 c.  breadcrumbs                    1 tbsp. parsley        1 egg                     1 garlic clove      
2 tbsp. garlic salt                     8 oz mozzarella block

Directions:

  1. Cut mozzarella into cubes.
  2. Stir 1/4 c. breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, parmesan, salt, pepper and egg.
  3. Add ground meat and form in meatballs.
  4. Press a cube of cheese in middle of each meatball and form the meat around it.
  5. Roll meatballs in the remaining breadcrumbs.
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375.
  7. Serve with your favorite tomato sauce, preferably homemade!
This recipe brings the great debate about ground beef v. ground chicken/turkey to the forefront. You'll notice in my recipes I tend to list it has ground meat rather than choosing one or the other. Don't get me wrong...I like burgers and meatloaves as much as the next girl. But, truly, I think I prefer using ground turkey. It's healthier and I think it takes on the blended spices' flavor much better than beef. Even those people who claim they don't like it often can't tell the difference if they don't know ahead of time.

What do you think? Are you always a ground beef person or do you prefer the ground turkey?  Or maybe you are like me and can go both ways. Just remember ....

As always, have fun!                  

No comments:

Post a Comment