Wednesday, February 25, 2015

“Face it girls. I'm older and I have more insurance.”

Can anyone name the movie that gem is from? I sure can and so can one of my best friends in the whole world - Kerin. She thought I was crazy for asking what the most memorable line from the movie as but didn't question me too much. I guess that's 20+ years of friendship for you!

What could this possibly have to do with my food blog you ask? Also, a great question. Fried Green Tomatoes is one of my all time favorite movies and it always makes me think of Kerin as I know she loves it as much as I do...we certainly have watched it enough. By extension, when I first found a recipe for fried green tomatoes, I knew I had to try it. I had always wondered what the novelty was about green tomatoes and how anyone would want to eat a cooked tomato (remember my cooked veggie issues!). Now, when I make them, I not only think of the movie, but also Kerin! I'm big on associations like that whether it's food, or music or a movie.  I think I remember things a lot better when I associate them with positive memories.

Now, on to the important part:

Fried Green Tomatoes

Ingredients:
1 egg                   1/2 c. buttermilk           1/2 c. flour          1/2 c. cornmeal        1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper     3 good sized green tomatoes                 vegetable oil          

Directions:

  1. Combine egg and buttermilk.
  2. Combine 1/4 c. flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a different bowl.
  3. Dredge tomatoes in 1/4 c. flour then egg then cornmeal mixture.
  4. Heat oil  in skillet to 375. 
  5. Cook tomatoes for 2 minutes on each side.
  6. Lay on paper towel to absorb excess oil before serving.
“It's funny, most people can be around someone and they gradually begin to love them and never know exactly when it happened; but Ruth knew the very second it happened to her. When Idgie had grinned at her and tried to hand her that jar of honey, all these feelings that she had been trying to hold back came flooding through her, and it was at that second in time that she knew she loved Idgie with all her heart.”  Over 20 years later and a simple tomato recipe can bring me right back to that moment. Go Egg Team!

As always, have fun!

1 comment: