Saturday, February 7, 2015

Is It Spring Yet?

I thought it was when I stepped outside today. While my friends and family in Massachusetts are getting dumped on yet again, we here in Hoosier country are getting a small reprieve this weekend with temperatures soaring into the low 50s. It got me thinking of lighter meals and healthy ones at that since at some point we all will be trading in parkas for shorts and sandals.

Salads. Everyone likes a good salad for the most part, but they can get kind of boring. Lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, carrots....what do you like in your salad? You do realize that you can get creative and not just chop some veggies and pour some store bought dressing on top right? In fact, you don't need lettuce at all - I like romaine a lot but for the most part I find lettuce to be a filler .Here are two non lettuce salads with homemade dressing that you can't screw up!

Shredded Carrot Salad

Ingredients:


2 tbsp. lime juice     1 1/2 tsp. honey     1/2 tsp. salt     1/3 c. olive oil     3/4 lb. carrots, shredded
1 tart green apple, cut into 1/4 inch dice                       2 tbsp. parsley

Directions:

  1. Combine apple, carrot and parsley in a bowl..
  2. In a 2nd bowl, whisk juice, honey and salt.
  3. Drizzle in oil, whisking constantly.
  4. Toss dressing with the fruit and veggies.
  5. This can be made ahead - Cover and refrigerate up to 12 hours.
Green Bean and Walnut Salad

Ingredients:

3 lbs. green beans     3/4 c. chopped walnuts     1/3 c dried cranberries     6 tbsp. olive oil
6 tbsp. red wine vingegar     3 garlic cloves, minced     1/2 tsp. salt      1/2 tsp. pepper

Directions:
  1. Cook green beans in boiling water for 4-7 minutes or until crisp tender and drain.
  2. Combine walnuts, cranberries and beans.
  3. Whisk olive oil and vinegar togethre.
  4. Stir in garlic, salt and pepper.
  5. Toss with green bean mixture.
  6. Refrigerate until serving.
It's no surprise that I would pick a carrot salad. Back when I was a much pickier eater, my mom often brought carrot and celery sticks with her when we went to family dinners to ensure I'd have something to eat. I absolutely love carrots. I also love green apples; they are nice and tart. The dressing gives a perfect sweet component to this tasty dish.

As for green beans, I've discovered as an adult I do like them cooked! I would always eat them raw when I was younger, but very rarely did I ever eat a cooked vegetable as it was often too mushy for me. Cooking vegetables to crisp tender has opened up a lot of options for me now!  Though I have to say I still don't eat broccoli or cauliflower. Sometimes you find it really is just the taste of something that is the turnoff!

As always, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment