Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sunday Morning Breakfast

So, I'm notoriously never awake enough to do real breakfast in the morning. My only hopes are either breakfast for dinner (huge fan!) or getting ambitious on the weekends. Even still, ambitious might be a strong word. I'm a bacon freak so you would think I would be all over my favorite bacon recipes for this. However, I went in a different direction. My east coast upbringing failed to introduce me to this special breakfast treat. It was only when I got out to Indiana that I discovered the joy of biscuits and gravy!

Anytime we go out to breakfast, I pretty much pick anything that will give me biscuits and gravy as part of my meal. Or I have to add it in on the side. I don't know why I am so obsessed but I am. This recipe is super quick and super cheap to make. In fact, it can be ready to go in less than a half hour!

Drop Biscuits and Gravy

Ingredients:
Biscuits:   1 c. flour   1 1/2 tsp baking powder   1/8 tsp. salt   1/2 c. milk   1 tsp. butter, melted
Gravy:      1/2 lb. bulk pork sausage                  1 tbsp. butter                    3 tbsp. flour    
                 1 3/4 c. milk                                      1/8 tsp. salt                       1/2 tsp. pepper

Directions:

  1. Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
  2. Combine milk and butter and then stir into dry ingredients just until blended.
  3. Drop by rounded tablespoons on a greased baking sheet.
  4. Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
  5. In a saucepan, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink.
  6. Stir in butter until melted.
  7. Sprinkle with flour.
  8. Gradually stir in milk, salt and pepper.
  9. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
  10. Serve over biscuits. (4 servings)
Trust me if you've never had this - it's so worth it! I might just be a breakfast whore. Oh well ... there are worse things in life I suppose. I still refuse to eat grits. I have my limits.

As always, have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment